Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189)
Who this visa is for
The Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189) is for applicants with suitable qualifications and/or experience in an occupation determined to be in demand in Australia. It is a points-tested visa and requires the applicant be invited to apply for the visa through the SkillSelect programme.
What this visa lets you do
The Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189) is a Permanent Residency visa. Once granted, it allows the holder (and any family members included in the application) to:
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia (without restriction)
- travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted
- enrol in Medicare (Australia’s universal health care scheme)
- apply for Australian citizenship (subject to eligibility)
- sponsor eligible relatives for a variety of temporary and permanent Australian visas
Note: The five year travel restriction only prevents re-entry into Australia after the expiry of the five year period, after which time (in order to re-enter Australia), a Resident Return visa or other suitable visa will need to be obtained. It does not affect holders of this visa who are inside Australia (who are allowed to remain indefinitely).
General eligibility criteria
To be eligible to apply for a Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189), you must have lodged an Expression of Interest (EOI) through the Department of Immigration’s SkillSelect programme and have been invited to apply (through SkillSelect) for the visa.
To be eligible to be granted the visa, at the time you are invited to apply, you must:
- be under 50 years of age
- nominate an occupation that is included on the relevant Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
- have your skills assessed by the appropriate Australian skills assessing authority as suitable for your nominated occupation (EasyMigrate can manage this process for you)
- have Competent English
- score at least 60 points on the relevant points test
- meet relevant health and character requirements
The above list is not intended to be exhaustive and further eligibility requirements do apply.
For more information or to see if you qualify, please make an enquiry with one of our qualified and experienced Migration Consultants.
Courtesy: Easymigrate.com (our counterparts in Australia)